Turkey was awarded the coveted “Best Overseas Destination” accolade at the “6th Road Trip Festival 2019” held in China. The award was accepted on behalf of Turkey by Kenan Ağa, consul at the Turkish Consulate General in Shanghai.
As 2018 was declared China’s “Turkey Tourism Year”, efforts have been exhaustive by both countries to promote Turkey as a tourism hotspot. Let’s take a look at some of these activities in a 5-point list.
- Within the scope of these celebratory events, the world-renowned dance group Fire of Anatolia performed its very special “Musical of Troy” with support from the Ministry of Culture and Tourism in April 2018.
- On a booth set up at the “China Outbound Tourism and Travel Market” exhibition, traditional Turkish dishes prepared by Chef Deniz Ahmet Köse and his team were presented to the Chinese visitors.
- As a part of the activities, the production crew of Zhejiang Radio and Television Group, one of China’s biggest television networks, was entertained in Fethiye. Turkish cuisine was served to Chinese tourism industry and state institution representatives, opinion leaders, and to diplomatic missions of varying countries.
- Other promotional events that were organized are as follows: An Archaeological press conference on Göbekli Tepe held in Shanghai, a tourism fair bringing Turkey and China closer along servings of Turkish cuisine running from April 1 to 7, an exhibition of critically-acclaimed Turkish painter Devrim Erbil, classical Turkish Music concerts and Turkish art of marbling “Ebru” workshops in shopping malls of Chongbang Group, April 23 National Sovereignty and Children’s Day celebrations, the attendance of Ayşe Kulin at the Shanghai International Literary Festival, a well-known Turkish author whose books have also been translated into Chinese among many other languages, seminars on archaeology and cultural heritage, the Istanbul Archaeological Excavations Symposium, Nida-Sıtkı Olçar and Mehmet Gürsoy’s Turkish Nicea porcelain “Çini” exhibition, and the State Opera and Ballet Allegra Ensemble concert.
- The “Turkey Tourism Year” activities held in China in a joint-effort with the Turkish Ministry of Culture and Tourism led to a total of 394 thousand Chinese tourists visiting Turkey in 2018, marking a significant increase of 59.38 percent compared to the previous year.