Did you know that the highest dam in Europe is located in Turkey?
Launched in 2010, the Çine Adnan Menderes Dam holds the title of Europe’s highest roller compacted concrete dam. The idea for the dam’s construction was first brought up in 1869, during the reign of Sultan Abdülaziz. However, it could only come into fruition some 5 sultans and 59 different governments later, 141 years after its initial conception.
We have compiled a 5-point list of Çine Dam’s contributions to Turkey
- Çine Dam has contributed TRY 1 billion 680 million to Turkish economy to date.
- The dam is roller compacted concrete in its construction, and its operations comprises irrigation, flood protection, and energy generation.
- Since its launch in 2010, it has contributed TRY 1 billion 680 million to Turkish economy by preventing flood damage costs. Additionally, it generates 118 million kWh energy per annum. Since the year 2014, it has generated a total of 221.7 million kWh energy, meeting the energy needs of 63 thousand people and contributing TRY 54.2 million to Turkish economy.
- There has been a significant increase in agricultural production from Çine to Didim owing to the dam. Cultivating winter forage crops used to be beyond the bounds of possibility, due to severe flooding. Today, Çine Dam proves greatly beneficial for flood prevention in winter, as well as providing irrigation water in summer.
- The 136.5-meter-tall dam irrigates an area of 215 thousand 840 decares and protects an area of 91 thousand decares from flooding.